The philosophy is: Topology is interesting, but hard. So we want to
translate topology into (way easier) algebra. Preferable into linear algebra. This is the
main idea behind functors, which should be thought of as providing a way to turn questions in
topology into questions in (linear) algebra.
The point of this seminar is to understand how this works in the case of a 2D TQFT, where a
beautiful classification in terms of algebra is possible.
Daniel Tubbenhauer email
Please put [Seminar on 2D TQFTs] as the subject.
Online System of the UZH
This website is up to date, and not the ones from the UZH.
However, please still register yourself online.
- Master students and upwards interested in a mixture of topology, algebra and category theory.
Where and when?
- Usual session:
- Every Monday from 13:15-15:00
- Room Y27H28, University Zurich, Institute of Mathematics
- First meeting: 24.Sep.2018
- Preliminary meeting:
- Monday, 10.Sep.2018, 13:15-15:00, Room Y27H28
- Mini presentation:
- 24.Sep.2018, Speaker: Mariya, Topic: Prologue: Vocabulary from category theory Notes: Click
- 01.Oct.2018, Speaker: Gilles, Topic: Cobordisms topologically I
- 08.Oct.2018, Speaker: Nino, Topic: Cobordisms topologically II
- 15.Oct.2018, Speaker: Nino, Topic: Generators for two-dimensional cobordisms
- 22.Oct.2018, Speaker: Mariya, Topic: Relations for two-dimensional cobordisms Notes: Click
- 29.Oct.2018, Speaker: Fabio, Topic: Frobenius algebras Notes: Click
- 05.Nov.2018, Speaker: Genta, Topic: Frobenius algebras diagrammatically I
- 12.Nov.2018, Speaker: Genta, Topic: Frobenius algebras diagrammatically II
- 10.Dec.2018, Speaker: Gilles, Topic: From Frobenius algebras to TQFTs Notes: Click
- 17.Dec.2018, Speaker: Mariya, Topic: Epilogue: Finite ordinals and cardinals diagrammatically Notes: Click
Goals of the talks
Here is the detailed plan. Click