MAT534.1: “Seminar Representation theory of finite groups”
The philosophy is: Groups are symmetries, and symmetries are interesting, but hard.
So we want to translate groups into (way easier) algebra.
Preferable into linear algebra. This is the main idea behind representation theory,
i.e. replace (usually non-linear) groups by their linear shadow (matrices).
Assistant: Genta Latifi email
Daniel Tubbenhauer email
Please put [Seminar Finite groups] as the subject.
Online System of the UZH
This website is up to date, and not the ones from the UZH.
However, please still register yourself online.
Bachelor students interested in a mixture of linear algebra and group theory, but everyone is welcome.
Where and when?
- Usual session:
- Every Monday from 13:00-14:45
- Room Y27H28, University Zurich, Institute of Mathematics
- First meeting: 23.Sep.2019
- Last meeting: 25.Nov.2019
- Preliminary meeting:
- Monday, 16.Sep.2019, 13:15-15:00, Room Y27H28
- Mini presentation:
- 23.Sep.2019, Speaker: Mariya, Topic: Group representations I, Notes (draft): Click
- 30.Sep.2019, Speaker: Samuel, Topic: Group representations II, Notes (draft): Click
- 07.Oct.2019, Speaker: Stephan, Topic: Morphisms of representations, Notes (draft): Click
- 14.Oct.2019, Speaker: Adrian, Topic: Characters I, Notes (draft): Click
- 21.Oct.2019, Speaker: Mario, Topic: Characters II, Notes (draft): Click
- 28.Oct.2019, Speaker: Vivien, Topic: The regular representation, Notes (draft): Click
- 04.Nov.2019, Speaker: Genta, Topic: A few applications I, Notes (draft): Click
- 11.Nov.2019, Speaker: Genta, Topic: A few applications II, Notes (draft): Click
- 18.Nov.2019, Speaker: Genta, Topic: A few applications III, Notes (draft): Click
- 25.Nov.2019, Speaker: Mariya, Topic: The symmetric group, Notes (draft): Click
Goals of the talks
Here is the detailed plan. Click